Thursday 22 March 2012

The Doctor's New Girl

I refrained from using it as the title of this piece, so indulge me now as I ask; Who's this girl?




I doubt you're hearing it first from me, but as a Doctor Who fan (oh, you didn't know? Gee, sorry you had to find out like this) with a blog I have to mention it.
Yesterday, 25-year old Jenna-Louise Coleman was announced as the new Doctor Who companion! We've all known Amy and Rory's time in the TARDIS was coming to an end (well, it sort of has already...) for ages but now we finally know their successor. Coleman, although not a household name, is not as unknown as Matt, Karen and Arthur were when they formed the new TARDIS crew in 2010. She was a lead in ITV soap Emmerdale and BBC school drama Waterloo Road as well as playing a majo role in the new high-profile series on the sinking of the Titanic. We've been given nothing of her character at the moment, apart from this cryptic snippet from show-runner the Moff:

"It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

And that's not all. Having starved us for months, the world was inundated with Who news yesterday. Which I'll take you through now, cos I'm just that kind.
Firstly, episode-wise, it has been revealed we will have just six episodes of Doctor Who this year. Five as part of the series - with the fifth episode being Amy and Rory's last - and a Christmas special which will be Jenna's debut. This might not seem a lot but in 2013 we are promised the other eight episodes of Series Seven and presumably the entire Series Eight! So we'll have to get through this year on a diet and then we can feast!
Also, if anything else was needed to get the world's Whovians in a quiver, we've been told that the Weeping Angels will return - in Amy and Rory's final episode! Could they...? You don't think that...? Mr Moffat was suitably on hand to calm fans when he said:

"Not everyone gets out alive. And I mean it this time!"

As comforting as ever! And not only that, we've been promised the Daleks WILL be back this year - which will please the pepper-pot killing machine lover in all of us!

So Jenna-Louise Coleman? Many a fan is, as always, complaining at her appointment for a variety of reasons or moaning that the show will never be the same again when Amy and Rory leave - but I say 'deal with it.' Doctor Who is all about embracing change, and although tis true I adore the Ponds and they will be hard to beat I welcome Jenna with metaphorically open metaphorical arms; I have utter faith in the production team that they have chosen the best girl for the job.

Now, I guess the only thing to say is...




*Warning: artwork not my own. I wish but 'fraid not.*
                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...